100th Anniversary Photos
This original bank charter from the Missouri Division of Finance on January 2, 1914 officially sanctioned the incorporation of the Bank of St. Elizabeth (The original still hangs in the Bank today).
Bank of St. Elizabeth bank draft, written on November 9, 1915
Joe Wilde Family in 1913. The Frank Dubbert blacksmith shop is visible on the left, the Berkel Store at center, and the Wilde Hotel at right. Joe Wilde, with his large hammer on his shoulder, is identified as the last man standing on the right at ground level. Joe Wilde, St. Elizabeth's first blacksmith and father-in-law to Frank Dubbert, was well-renowned for his physical prowess. Joe Wilde was also Adam Berkel's father-in-law (married to Joe's daughter Katie), which explains why these three buildings were built side by side -- the families were all related through Joe Wilde.
The children, teachers, and Father Bruch from St. Elizabeth School in 1913.
St. Lawrence Catholic Church interior in 1913. A deed from Charles and Regina Holtschneider to Bishop Hogan of The Diocese of Kansas City for the church lot was recorded on December 18, 1880, the same date the town plat was filed by the Holtschneiders. The first church in the parish was a log structure built in 1870 at Old St. Elizabeth, 2 1/2 miles north of the present town site. Conrad Kemna hewed the logs. Other families assisting with the original church were Heckemeyer, Buechters, Boedeker, Borgmeyer, Doerhoff, Schell, Whalen, Leibert, and Koester. The log church served the Catholics on both sides of the river until a separate parish was established at Marys Home in 1882. In the 1880s, the Precious Blood Father, Cosmos Seeberger, spent half of Sunday at the St. Lawrence Church in Charlestown (later St. Elizabeth), then forded the Osage River and spent the remainder of the day at the church in Marys Home. In 1903, the congregation at St. Lawrence Parish broke ground for a brick church (pictured above). On the church grounds, 400,000 bricks were made using local clay, brick kilns, and lime for mortar. The Gothic-designed church was dedicated in April of 1907.