History of the Bank of St. Elizabeth

Click a date to read about an important milestone in the bank's history.

The 1910s The 1920s The 1930s The 1940s The 1950s
November 11, 1913 March 17, 1924 January 16, 1932 January 20, 1941 February 21, 1955
November 29, 1913 April 18, 1927 June 20, 1932 July 31, 1941 September 15, 1955
December 13, 1913   January 16, 1933 May 18, 1942 October 27, 1956
January 2, 1914   May 20, 1935 June 21, 1943  
January 12, 1914   August 23, 1935 July 7, 1943  
January 26,1914     September 1, 1945  
July 17, 1916        
February 13, 1919        
November 17, 1919        

The 1960s The 1970s The 1980s The 1990s The 2000s
March 21, 1968 March 18, 1971 January 15, 1981 March 16, 1990 November 9, 2006
  December 5, 1971 December 15, 1983 November 20, 1991 December 4, 2006
  October 19, 1972 October 17, 1985 November 19, 1992 April 16, 2010
  January 2, 1973 January 15, 1987 March 17, 1994 August 1, 2011
  June 3, 1973 July 16, 1987 November 20, 1995 August 17, 2012
  January 20, 1977 December 1, 1988 October 16, 1997 August 25, 2012
  November 17, 1977   January 15, 1998 January 2, 2014
      February 18, 1999 January 12, 2014
        April 5, 2014
        May 3, 2014
        June 7, 2014
Back to top


Town meeting in St. Elizabeth to discuss plans for founding a bank. John G. Schwietermann was elected President and Stephen Doerhoff, Secretary for the meeting. Everyone there emphasized the practicality and need to have a bank in this town. It was decided that the initial capital amount would be $10,000; $2,200 was pledged at the meeting

Back to top


Stockholders meeting – elected Directors and adopted bylaws

  • John G. Schwietermann – Chairman, Vice President
  • William M. Wetlock, Sr. - President
  • Edward B. Hickmann – CEO/Cashier/Secretary
  • H. H. Barnhart
  • Frank H. Bax
  • Henry E. Clark
  • Joseph F. Huhmann
  • A. T. Shelton
  • J. B. Wilbers

Organizational meeting – appointed Officers and hired E. B. Hickman as the lone employee (Cashier)

Back to top


Agreed to the offer by E. B. Hickman of a salary of $50 per month

Approved renting the ‘Old Store Room’ in the William Wetlock building for $5 per month

Approved purchase of a (Victor Manganese Steel Screw Door Bank Safe) cash safe for $900.00 and book safe for $150.00. (Burglars would use a cutting torch to burn a hole in it on 2-5-1963 and ruin it)

Approved The Farmers and Merchants Bank of Meta, MO and The National Bank of Commerce, St. Louis, MO as the first correspondent banks

Back to top


Bank officially chartered to do business by the State of Missouri

Back to top


First official day of business.

Rate to loan money at 6% on real estate loans and 7% on others, to pay 4% on Time deposits and 3% on sums of $400 or over on Daily Balances

Close of business on the first day showed: $8,000 in capital stock, $2,406.46 in deposits, and total assets of $10,407.76. The authorized amount of Capital stock of $10,000, was not fully paid up until 8-15-1914

First CD was for $75.00

Back to top


First loan made for $195.00

Back to top


Building plans drawn by John G. Schwietermann

Approved construction of bank building

Building committee appointed

Bought 30’ x 60’ lot from S. N. Schell & Sons for $300

Leo Kemna to haul gravel for 75 cents/cwt

Paid Bernie Oligschlaeger 7.5 cent/load to haul gravel through his field

Paid John Wilde 8 cents per block laid

Paid 9 cents per bag of concrete from Hoecker (current river access)

Back to top


CEO/Cashier Edward B. Hickman resigned as Cashier, and recommended John A. Luetkemeyer to be hired as CEO/Cashier, which the Board did

Back to top


Approved $200 investment in Delco-Light Company to get lights in town

Back to top


Approved donation of $100 for construction of wire suspension bridge across the Big Tavern Creek at the Boeckmann Ford

Back to top


Made loan to Henry Boeckmann on ferry boat

Back to top


Salaries of John Luetkemeyer and Ida Bode were reduced 25% due to the hard times of the Great Depression

Back to top


Authorized releases on deed of trust that the Bank holds, to MO State Highway Department for the purpose of a Farm-to-Market Road leading from Tuscumbia to St. Elizabeth

Back to top


Salaries reduced by another 33%

Back to top


Researched about obtaining an electrical burglary alarm

Back to top


Received FDIC deposit insurance certificate

Back to top


Hired Wm. A. Luetkemeyer – Assistant Cashier

Back to top


CEO/Cashier John A. Luetkemeyer died

Back to top


Cashier Wm. A. Luetkemeyer inducted into the Army, replaced on a temporary basis by the hiring of W. F. Topping of Stoutland, MO

Back to top


W. F. Topping, Cashier resigned to take a similar position at the Citizens Bank of Pilot Grove.

Back to top


Hired Otto G. Schell as Cashier on a temporary basis

Back to top


Excused Otto G. Schell of Cashier duties and rehired Wm. A. Luetkemeyer, as he has returned from his Armed Services duty

Back to top


Approved $50 contribution towards the construction of a new church in St. Anthony

Back to top


Approved $35 contribution towards black-topping some of the city’s streets

Back to top


Purchased a micro-film machine

Back to top


Bank purchased a lot from Victor Wilde (also known as the George Kemna property which was also the first location of Schell Trading Company and the Bank’s first location) for a future building site.

Approved an FHA loan/deposit for the construction of the town’s water system

Back to top


Started construction of new building

Back to top


Open house of new bank building

Back to top


Purchased lot in Marys Home for new facility

Back to top


Sold old bank building to Victor Wilde

Back to top


Open house at new Marys Home facility, open for business 6-4-1973

Back to top


Purchased a computer

Back to top


Approved helping pay rent for a Doctor if we could get one to St. Elizabeth

Back to top


Approved purchase of Burroughs Posting Machine

Back to top


Raised passbook interest rate to 5.5%

Back to top


Approved purchase of new proof machine and computer

Back to top


Approved plans for an addition to building in St Elizabeth

Back to top


Building additions complete

Back to top


Hired Brice Luetkemeyer as Cashier, promoted Blaine Luetkemeyer to VP

Back to top


Approved donation of $4,500 for new scoreboard in gym

Back to top


Lowered interest rates on all existing real estate and livestock notes to 11%, left rates on personal loans at 14%

Back to top


Approved purchase of new computer, proof, and optical image system

Back to top


Approved purchase of James Heckemeyer house, behind bank, for future expansion

Back to top


Received approval to purchase Oligschlaeger house (east of bank – currently parking lot)

Back to top


Approved purchasing new proof machine with imaging technology

Back to top


Approved purchase of new IBM mainframe & software that’s Y2k compliant

Back to top


Approved another addition to the bank building (current loan area)

Back to top


Tender offer accepted by all 95 shareholders of the Bank of Freeburg for stock purchase

Back to top


IT conversion/merger with Bank of Freeburg completed

Back to top


Wm. A. Luetkemeyer, long time Chairman, President and CEO dies

Back to top


Started addition and renovation of St E building

Back to top


Extensive discussion of the horrible drought and the resulting effects

Back to top


Open house for new addition and renovation on St. E building

Back to top


Bank Chartered 100 Years Ago

Back to top


Bank Opened for Business 100 years Ago

Back to top


100th Anniversary Celebration at Marys Home

Back to top


100th Anniversary Celebration at Freeburg

Back to top


100th Anniversary Celebration at St. Elizabeth

Online Banking Login


Forgot Password

Learn more about our new Lake branch